Monday, February 4, 2013

Summertime Dreaming #flashfiction

All I wanted to do was ride my bicycle, but the snow prevented me from stepping foot outdoors until I dressed in layers of warm clothes. I missed the sun, the energizing warmth on my head and skin. I missed the green on the trees and the sounds of spring peepers singing their evening songs.

Last night's storm system packed a powerful punch, blanketing the streets and lawns in a fresh layer of white powder. Ensuring I wouldn't see the blue sky for at least another day while the clouds lazily passed.

Instead of daydreaming all morning, I donned my coat and headed outside to chisel ice off my car's windshield. I had work to do. Bill collectors to pay. Traffic to navigate. And there would be a ton of that. Always.

Snow crunched under the weight of my boots as I plodded to my Jetta. I unlocked the doors and dug around the glove box for my scraper. Service receipts. Owner's Manual. Insurance cards. What's this? Why is my title in here?

Ugh. I had to get better with organization.

Ahh. Finally. I grabbed the purple and clear plastic ice machete and hacked away at the glass while the heater warmed the inside. Once I was satisfied I'd be able to see, I wiped my hands, and went back in the house to grab my purse and coffee.

My husband greeted me in the family room, still in his pajamas, wiping sleep from his eyes. "What are you doing?"

Same thing I do every morning, Pinky: Taking over the world. "Going to work."

He laughed and walked to the kitchen, straight to the coffee pot, then poured me a nice hot mug full. "Do you know what today is?"

"Monday."

Nodding, he held the coffee out to me. "Yes. That's right. But it's something else, as well. Think about it."

The man was off his rocker. Totally looney. "I'm going to be late! Tell me the rest of this joke later."

"Fine, but when you get to work and remember it's Martin Luther King's Day, don't say I didn't try to warn you that the office would be empty."

Sigh. Maybe today would be a good day to get organized. I ran out and turned off my car, removed the umpteen million layers I wore, and went back to daydreaming about the sun.

Summer would be here soon enough. Right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

During the Let Me Reintroduce Myself Blogfest, I met Carrie Sorensen. She told me about her weekly picture prompt blog hop. So I decided to join, having no idea it was not only a picture prompt but there were words I HAD to use in my flash fiction piece (Bill, chisel, title, system, bicycle)

I managed to complete an entry. YAY! I had a great time. I think I'll play again next week.

~Krystal

11 comments:

  1. Well, you got a nice early start to your unexpected day off. Happy organizing. Or, will you fiind a more fun way to spend your day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. This is flash fiction. I didn't actually do this, but I'm glad everyone found it believable. I'm either really ditzy or a good writer. :-P

      Delete
  2. We don't get MLK Day off. :( But if you do, why spend it organizing? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha. Ya got me. Hey, I didn't have my morning coffee yet when I read your totally believable and fun piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was fun. It's something a lot of us would do, which is why it's so believable. I'm excited you're going to come back. You're welcome any time. :D

    The link on the prompt page doesn't come directly here, by the way. I'm not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2/06/2013

    Ha! I didn't see that one coming. Nice. But I'm usually really good at remembering the days I can sleep in. :D Flash fiction is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2/06/2013

    That was an awesome punchline! I love your story because it's true to life. It's analogous to that sweet moment when you find a $5 bill in your coat pocket that you didn't know was there. :)

    It also reminded me of the time I drove to school the day after Thanksgiving and showed up to an empty parking lot.

    Nice job, Krystal! I hope you write again for the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2/09/2013

    Yeah, I liked that punchline too. It would be kinda nice to have a holiday take me by surprise, but I'm usually counting the days long before that. (Which reminds me, what day does Family Day fall on again??)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...