Thursday, July 5, 2012

Letter to my YA self - Sharon Bayliss

Me at 16 (I think...I don't organize my photos very well)


And it's my turn....

I'm Sharon Bayliss, author of the upcoming New Adult novel THE CHARGE, a story about a college freshman who learns he may be part of the Texas royal family. Did I mention it was an alternate history?
Without further ado, here is my letter to my YA self:



Dear 14-year-old Sharon,

You don't know me yet, but we're about as close as two people can be. My name is Sharon and I'm from the year 2012. That's right…I'm you from the future. I know ALL about you – all of your fears, all of your insecurities, and all those embarrassing secrets. And I'm sad to say you'll rack up quite a few more in the next several years. As you know from the Back to the Future movies, no one should know too much about their own destiny. But I do have a few helpful tips I'd like to share:

       You think you're fat, but you're not. In fact, you're smoking hot. But you know what…don't even worry about that. You'll actually be hotter when you have more years and more pounds on you, because confidence is way sexier than thinness.
       Take care of your body. We're still using it. I probably can't talk you out of the drinking and smoking, but at the very least, wear sunscreen and floss. And while we're at it…a diet coke and a bag of pretzels is not a meal.
       Stop giving boys all the power in relationships. Newsflash – you've had boobs since you were 11, YOU have all the power. You're way hotter than those little boys, make them beg!
       Never cut fruit while holding it in your hand. Just don't.
       Keep writing. It will pay off one day!
       The world hasn't ended, at least not yet. So scratch that from your list of concerns.
       Invent Facebook. It's this social network website where people….oh, nevermind. I know you don't have the computer savvy for that. It was worth a try.
       Sex is supposed to feel really good. Yes, that's right, even for the girl. If it doesn't, don't do it.
       That beautiful blue-eyed boy who shows up in your dreams IS real and you will meet him. As a matter of fact, he now sleeps in your bed. But I won't tell you when and how you'll meet him. You'll just have to wait and see. ;) (P.S. this weird symbol from the future means *wink*)
       Bad things will happen to you in the next few years and you'll be unhappy for a long time. I would tell you who to avoid and what not to do, but I'm afraid you'll have to go through it all again. The bad things that happen to you will make you into the woman you are today. And I wouldn't change her for anything.
       One day you'll have everything you ever wanted and will be happier than you ever thought possible. When everything seems hopeless, just remember to pray and know that it all happens for a reason.

Love,
Your 30-year-old self



Young me writing...with a pen! I haven't done that in a long time.




15 comments:

  1. Anonymous7/05/2012

    Ohmigosh! I love it:-) It was perfection. Everything happens for a reason indeed. Even though we can't really go back in time, I think we should seriously consider all our YA/New Adult CQ authors writing one of these letters and putting them in an actual book you can buy. Someone had commented on mine that it should be required reading for every 14-yr-old girl and I can't agree more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie! I love your anthology idea!

      Delete
  2. This was great! What an awesome way to find out more about you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank you! It definitely is more personal that what I usually like to post!!

      Delete
  3. This is so great Sharon! It's even better considering how private you are. I love that you didn't tell your young self about the bad because you're right, those are the things that make us who we are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this letter! Funny, sweet and only a little sad (in a good way). Lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So lovely, Sharon ;)
    It's a very interesting exercise to talk to your younger self. I wonder what I would have advised. For sure I would have told myself about inventing FaceBook and Twitter :) lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great letter and great advice, Sharon. Did you really dream of your husband at 14? Because that's really cool:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rebecca, Jade, & Gwen - Thanks for your comments! I did have recurring dreams about a boy who looks an awful lot like my husband. Not sure if I was actually dreaming about my future husband or if I subconsciously fell for a guy who looked like the one from my dream. But I like the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this. I can't believe you dreamed of your hubby! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you might appreciate that...reminds me of a fictional character I know.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for sharing something so personal and lovely. I love that you don't warn yourself against all of the bad things. The bad things make us who we are too. I also love your line about confidence being way sexier than thinness. Why are we all so insecure at that age? Especially when you were clearly smoking hot! ;) Great post Sharon. I've enjoyed reading these letters.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great write! lovely way to look within.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mom doesn't usually read my blog, but this post she had to find and ask me about!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...