Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Tuesday Teaser with a Tune

How’s that title for alliteration? So I thought I’d try something a little different this week (and maybe in weeks to come). On Sundays I post six lines from my first novel (soon to be published, visit my site for more details), but I’m thinking maybe I can make Tuesdays a day to share from my current novel. Yes, they are from the same series, but I won’t post anything that spoils all the fun . . . just tidbits I feel confident and happy with . . . and the inspiration for that segment.

Oh dear, I said inspiration.

I once guest blogged with Derek Flynn about how Music is My Muse. When I’m writing deep, dark scenes—or light, fun ones—you can be sure I’m listening to music.

There’s a horrific battle scene in Wilde’s Meadow that I am still tweaking, but am insanely happy with. The music I listened to (on repeat) while writing this is by Great Northern. The song is Numbers. Enjoy . . . and I hope you enjoy the tidbit.



~The creature [hound] lunges at Perth and lands just shy of taking a bite out of his ankle. Arland drives his sword into the beast, yanks out the bloody iron, then spins around on his heel and slices the head off a coscartha. The daemon’s dead, hollow eyes stare at me. Blood covers the sleeve of Brit’s left arm, but I can’t tell if it’s hers or another creature's. Flanna stands with her back to my sister, eyes flitting in all directions, breathing heavily, then releases an arrow into a tairb. The four of them are trapped in the center of thousands of daemons. Our allies are stuck on the outside, fighting desperately to get to my family. We need to use magic, and we need to use it fast.

"Look at them, Katriona." Dughbal's hot breath burns my ear. "They will all die because of you."

My mouth fills with the salty fluids always preceding throw up. I swallow, praying I don't lose control now. "No, if they die, they die because of you."

He wraps his hands around my throat and squeezes, but not enough to strangle me, just enough to make me strain for air, to make me wish his hands would catch fire. "I could kill you now, but the boy’s soul yearns for your safety. He knows not of your betrayal...."

Well, I can't share the rest of that line with you or I'll give way too much away. So, hope you enjoyed Tuesday's Teaser with a Tune. :-)

21 comments:

  1. Anonymous12/13/2011

    I like this new direction. But I'm guessing that's no surprise to you. :D

    Girl, you are a horrible tease! You keep drawing me deeper into your story each week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Debra! This is from the last book and man I love this WHOLE chapter! Gonna be so exciting. Hopefully others like it too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to say my novel has it's own soundtrack, the songs that inspired certain scenes. Strange the different artists that inspire us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So exciting and tantalizing! Waking me up more than my coffee! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh totally. Wilde's Fire was heavily influenced by music. This song has a way of making me go right into the zone of writing Wilde's Meadow. I love it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Thanks for that comment, Kellianne! Better than coffee is a HUGE compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Draws one right in, Krystal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the comment, Stavros! :-) Glad you enjoyed. I always get nervous to share stuff out of context.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boooo! I couldn't even be first to comment because I'm stuck at this bloody warehouse!!! :(((( I love the song and I love the snippet. Have I already told you how much I want to buy your book(s)? :) A LOT!!!

    Go Kate! Go Arland! Go Krystal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want you to buy my book, A LOT! :-) Soon, dear. Soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that was an intense and exciting scene! I can see why you're so pleased with it. As for music, I like it for drawing/painting to, but not so much for writing to. :) Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Teresa! I have to find the right "mood" music or else whatever I'm listening to becomes a distraction. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous12/13/2011

    Hi Krystal, Lovely music, very inspiring and a very exciting extract! Look forward to seeing more:)
    Jane Isaac

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tease ... the background music made it even more intense. Maybe the future of our e-books - a soundtrack to read along with!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with the others who have commented, the music definitely adds to the piece. I can see it more clearly with the music. Maybe when you publish your works, you should give a guide listing what to listen to and when.

    When I write, most of the time I listen to jazz or progressive rock, and usually to songs with out words. I find lyrics, can sometimes get in the way with my process. But at other times, it doesn't matter.

    Thanks so much for sharing your work.

    Jim McGrath

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, Jane. :-) I can't wait to share more. I can't wait to finish this book. LOL.

    Suzanne, glad you like. The whole chapter when read in sequential order is very intense. I'll definitely have to make a "Listen to this when reading this" list. haha

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jim, some songs grate on my concentration. It has to the the "right" song. You know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cool! Love your new idea:) And the teaser! As for me...I cannot write with music. I get tooo distracted. If it is necessary to block out screaming banshees in the background, I will put on some classical stuff, though:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you, Tania. I like movie scores, too (as close to classical I can get without falling asleep--love classical...for resting).

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hmm, well, I am VERY intrigued by this teaser! I think I'm kinda digging on this story! I'm putting it on my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well that's wonderful to hear! :-) YAY!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...